Useful Information



Student Guide UPOL app

Mobile app for International students of Palacký University in Olomouc. UPlication gives you detailed information regarding your arrival to Olomouc, regarding the exchange study at Palacký University, information about how to spend your leisure time and more.


Let´s join Erasmus+ and come to study in the Czech Republic - videos:

for academics: 

for students: 


The following information only sums up the basic and most important facts and requirements. Always check the current conditions on the website of the Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs and contact the nearest Czech embassy for updated and complete information.

Visa requirements according to the country of origin

  1. EU citizens + citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland do not need any visa, just a travel document on entering the country (ID, passport).
  2. Foreign nationals from outside the EU do need a visa. There are two types – short and long term visa. The short term residency visa (type C) is valid for max. 90 days. The residency visa for more than 90 days (long term visa type D) is valid for 1 year and allows the foreign citizen to travel repeatedly into and out of Czech territory. The residence of foreign nationals in the Czech Republic is governed by the Act on the Residence of Aliens in the Territory of the Czech Republic (Act 326/99, as amended).

You must apply for (and obtain) a visa before your departure to the Czech Republic. The processing time is up to 60 days (but might take longer) and therefore it is recommended to apply for a residency permit as soon as you receive the letter of acceptance.

The following documents are required for a student visa or a residency permit. They need to be less than 1 month old:

  • Completed application
  • A valid passport and passport photos
  • Documents related to the purpose of the stay (e.g. a letter of acceptance from the host institution
  • Proof of funds for your stay (e.g. a bank statement or a confirmation of being the beneficiary of a grant)
  • Affidavit that you will not be receiving any social benefits.
  • Proof of accommodation – this is submitted by the University directly to the embassy via data box, you can request a print-out
  • Proof of health insurance valid in the Czech Republic – a complex one, not a basic one!
  • A criminal records check

Citizens of selected countries may be required to provide extra documents – e.g. health card report (African countries), etc. The original or a certified copy of the documents must be submitted. Prepare to have them translated into Czech.

This list above is just to give you an idea, for detailed information please see:

If you need help with arranging your visa, please contact the International Relations Office.

For detailed information about visa requirements, please see the UP Guide.


It is the responsibility of each student to have their health insurance arranged for the entire time of their stay in the Czech Republic.

EU students are requested to bring along a ‘European Health Insurance Card’ (EHIC). The students should apply for the EHIC at a national health insurance provider in their home country before departure. The valid card will give you an access to state-provided health care during your temporary stay in the Czech Republic. Please note that it does not guarantee free services.´

International students/non EU citizens must arrange comprehensive medical insurance for the whole period of their study stay at Palacký University. It is recommended to choose the provider of the health insurance based also on a number of medical facility and doctors that are bound by contracts with a certain health insurance company. Currently the incoming international students have had some positive experience with the following providers. The below mentioned companies offer online services which can be appreciated by visa students who may need to arrange and submit a proof of the health insurance within the visa process.

Pojišťovna VZP a.s. was established as a subsidiary company of VZP = Všeobecná zdravotní pojišťovna České republiky (General Medical Insurance Company of the Czech Republic), .

Please note that it is also possible to arrange your comprehensive health insurance directly at VZP (General Medical Insurance Company of the Czech Republic) after your arrival. As it is the biggest provider of the health insurance in the Czech Republic, you can rely on an acceptance of your VZP health insurance by most doctors.

International students/EU citizens coming with a valid EHIC (see above) should register at the VZP, Olomouc office after their arrival. Only submission of a valid EHIC is required. The central IRO provides basic instructions and helps students with the registration.

To sum up:

If you are a visa student you are required to arrange comprehensive health insurance. Non-visa EU students need to bring a valid EHIC and have it registered after the arrival in the Czech Republic to receive the state-provided health care. It is also worthy considering travel insurance arrangement covering private healthcare or costs for a transportation back home, repatriation or lost/stolen property.



  • UP Dormitories

The university provides housing to students if required. The dormitories are situated within a ten-minute walk or 20- minute tram ride from the main building of the University. There are some single-rooms available, however most students share rooms with one or two other students.

Dormitory Accommodation Office:

If you have any questions about accommodation of international students for periods exceeding 1 month, please contact the persons on this link: 

For general information about dormitory accommodation, please see: 

  • Privat

Another option is to find a shared apartment on Facebook.


OW is regularly organized a week before the official beginning of semester (classes) by the central International Relations Office (IRO UP) in cooperation with Erasmus Student Network (ESN) UP Olomouc, you will be introduced to how things work at Palacký University, the faculties and the departments.

More information about the OW programme is on:


Travelling in the Czech Republic

Train and coach

There are several ways to get around the Czech Republic. If travelling by train, check these websites of Czech railway companies: and or If you decide to travel by coach, you can have a look at: and or


If you decide to travel by car, you should keep in mind the driving rules in the Czech Republic:

  • zero alcohol tolerance
  • no use of mobile phones and other communication devices while driving
  • mandatory use of seat belts
  • mandatory use of headlights at all times
  • mandatory use of helmets by cyclists and motorcyclists

Speed limits: In-town speed limit: 50 km/h, Roads: 90 km/h, Motorways: 130 km/h     

You can check the validity of your driving licence here:

Important information for drivers:

Always carry your driving license, ID, and vehicle registration documents with you in your car as you may be fined if you do not. You must purchase a pass to be able to use Czech motorways. You can buy one-year, one-month, or ten-day passes, which are all available at border crossings, post offices, and petrol stations. Rented cars automatically come with the pass in the window. To rent a car, you usually must be at least 21 and have held your license for one year.


If you are planning to travel by plane, you will likely arrive at the international Václav Havel Airport Prague (PRG) or Vienna Airport (Austria, VIE). Low cost companies also fly to Brno and Ostrava or Bratislava (Slovakia). For more, see their respective websites.

Getting from Prague airport to Olomouc

Travelling from Prague to Olomouc by train is the most comfortable way, and that is why we suggest you go for this option. The Prague Public Transport Company offers a special airport bus providing direct connection between the airport and the Main Railway Station ( Bus No. 119 runs every 10 minutes from 4:30 to 23:30 between the airport and Dejvická metro station. You need to purchase a 32 CZK ticket at a newspaper stand or from the yellow ticket machines at the bus stop. This ticket is valid within the whole city network for 90 minutes. Change at Dejvická station to metro line A, go to Muzeum station, and change to metro line C, and get off at Hlavní Nádraží (Main Railway Station, abbrev. Praha Hl. n.). Info:

You could take a taxi but the airport tends to have the highest charging taxis; please be aware that Prague taxi-drivers are infamous for overcharging foreigners. If you still prefer to go by taxi, we suggest calling the private service UBER. For more info

Travelling from Prague to Olomouc

At the Main Railway Station you need to buy a ticket to Olomouc (which is pronounced something like “O-lo-moats”). The best thing is to find ČD Centrum (Czech Railways Information Office), where the staff speak English. A single ticket from Prague to Olomouc is around 250 CZK (ISIC holders can get 75% discount). You can decide if you want to travel with Czech Railways or with private companies such as Regiojet: or Leo express

The trip to Olomouc takes about 3 hours, depending on the type of train that you take.

Getting from the Vienna airport to Olomouc

The most comfortable way to get from Vienna airport to Olomouc is to use private transport companies which offer multiple times-a-day express connection direct from the airport: or or

Reporting your place of residence in the Czech Republic

Upon arrival in the Czech Republic you are obliged to do a few things, depending on the visa type with which you came to the Czech Republic. All foreigners in the Czech Republic must report their place of residence; please check below to see which group you belong to and then simply follow the instructions.

When registering with the Immigration Police, students must present a completed Registration Card form, a travel document and proof of health insurance (e.g. European Health Insurance Card). If you are staying at Palacký University dormitories and intend to stay there for the whole study period, you do not have to report to the Immigration Police unless you need a confirmation of your registration. The Accommodation Office will take care of your registration.

If anything mentioned below (see more) is not clear to you or if you have any question regarding your stay in the Czech Republic, do not hesitate to contact officers of the Ministry of the Interior via e-mail or telephone (00420) 974 832 421, (00420) 974 832 418.

Reporting your place of residence in the territory of the Czech Republic

By law, all foreigners who enter the territory of the Czech Republic are obliged to report to the Foreign Police (hereinafter FP). The accommodation provider has the reporting responsibility, which means that if you are staying in the dormitories or in a hotel, your accommodation provider will report your place of residence for you and you do not need to see an FP officer yourself.

The reporting rules vary based on the type of visa or residence permit and your accommodation:

  • EU citizens + citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland + foreigners who do not need a visa

If you stay in the dormitories/hotel, you do not have to report in person. The dormitory officials will report your residence for you; you only need to complete the relevant document when moving in. If you live in private accommodation, you have to report in person to the FP within 30 days of entering the Czech Republic, provided you are staying for more than 90 days. You will need a confirmation from the owner of the apartment, e.g. a lease contract.

  • Short-term visa holders (type C max. 90 days) and non-EU foreigners authorized to reside in the Czech Republic without a visa

If you live in the dormitories, you do not need to see an FP officer yourself. The dormitory officials will report your residence for you; you only need to complete the relevant document when moving in. If you live in private accommodation, you have to report to the FP within 3 working days of entering the territory of the Czech Republic. You will need a confirmation from the owner of the apartment, e.g. a lease contract.

  • Long-term visa holders

If you have arrived with a long term visa, please report to the Olomouc Foreign Police within 3 working days of entering the territory of the Czech Republic. It does not matter whether you live in private housing or in the dorms. The Foreign Police office is where you will be registered. If you change your address in the course of your stay, you must report this change in person at the Foreign Nationals’ Residence Department in Přerov, and likewise, contact them if you need to have your visa extended. Always have your passport, a proof of residence from the dorms/apartment, an insurance policy, and a health insurance card ready.

Note that if you want to continue your study after your visa has expired, you need to apply for the long term residence permit 120 days at the earliest and not later than the last working day before the expiration of your visa. !!!

  • Long-term residence permit for study purposes

If you have arrived with an arranged long-term residence for the purposes of study, please report to the Foreign Nationals’ Residence Department in Přerov within 3 days. Here you will receive a biometric document allowing you to stay in the Czech Republic. If you change address in the course of your stay, you are obliged to report to this office again and apply for new documents.

Please contact the same office if you want to extend your visa or apply for a long-term residence for study purposes.<0} {0><}0{>You may submit an application for a long-term stay 90 days at the earliest and not later than 14 days before the expiry of your long-term visa.

Remember that as part of their long-term stay, foreigners from outside the EU may travel within the Schengen area but cannot be away from the registered place of residence for more than 90 continuous days.

APPLICATION for long-term residence for study purposes

You will need to travel to Přerov to apply (U Výstaviště 3183/18, Přerov, Tel.: 974 760 399).

Requirements for application:

  • a completed application form
  • travel document (passport)
  • document confirming the purpose of your stay (certificate of student status/confirmation of enrolment)
  • proof of accommodation (document on entitlement to use a flat or house etc.)
  • 2 passport photograph
  • proof of funds (typically a bank statement that shows that you have sufficient funds for your stay (15 times the amount of the existential minimum (2200 CZK) for the first month and double the amount of the existential minimum for every month afterwards, thus, for a stay from 1 January – 30 June it would be (15x2200) + (5x2x2200) = 33 000 + 22 000 = 55 000 CZK), proof of health insurance (with a health insurance company in the Czech Republic).

If the application is approved, you can buy a 2,500 CZK “stamp" at any post office in the Czech Republic and bring it to the meeting when collecting your documents in Přerov.

The requirements for the application shall not be older than 180 days except for the travel document and the photograph of the foreign national if it corresponds to actual appearance.

EXTENSION or change of residence permit, change of address

To extend your long-term residence permit or to apply for a switch from long-term visa you have to submit:

  • passport
  • passport photo
  • a certificate of student status/confirmation of enrolment
  • proof of accommodation – typically a lease contract in Czech with the complete address of your accommodation and signed by the owner
  • proof of complex health insurance - with a health insurance company in the Czech Republic
  • a document confirming the availability of funds in the territory or document proving that all costs will be paid by state authority, by legal entity or by domestic host organization or you can submit document proving, that your total monthly income will not be lower than a sum of subsistence minimum (3 860 CZK) and highest amount of normative housing costs (8 577 CZK) or housing costs you actually spend

All documents, except the bank statement, must be in Czech original and cover the whole duration of your requested residence permit (max. 1 year). You can learn more about the requirements at

If you change your address during your stay, you must report this change in person at the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy within 30 days of the change.

A change in the place of residence is reported to the MOI office in the area of the new place of residence, by completing the "Form for reporting changes". To report this change, the foreign national provides: proof of accommodation at the new address, a travel document (containing the visa or residence sticker), a residence card, if it has been issued as a separate document.

Note that you must submit your application for a long-term residence change or extension 120 days at the earliest and not later than the last working day before the expiration of your current residence permit/visa. 

It is highly recommended to submit the application as early as possible, especially before holidays, even if you do not have all the necessary documents. You will be allowed to complete the documentation later.

If you apply for an extension of your residence permit and plan to return to your home country while your application is being processed, inform the officer when submitting the application and, if necessary, provide a contact address. Also, arrange for picking up your post mail while you are away.

If you receive a formal notice from the immigrations office, it is necessary to act according to the content of such a notice. It is a legally binding act and if you do not fulfil its requirements (such as submit a document) within the set time period, your application process will be stopped.

Please see the Visa and registration instructions at .


Department for Asylum and Migration Policy

Tř. Svobody 6, 779 00 Olomouc
Phone: 974 761 829 828

For apply for an extension of the permitted period of stay on a long-term visa, for a long-term residence permit or its extension, for a permanent residence permit, report a change in your place of residence in the Czech Republic or other changes related to your residence, for a confirmation of residence contact:

MOI office Přerov BIO

(Responsibility for the Přerov, Olomouc, Prostějov, Šumperk, Jeseník and Bruntál districts)

U Výstaviště 3183/18, Přerov
Phone: 974 760 399 (incl. telephone appointments) 

To get there from the train station in Přerov you need to take the bus no. 105 from “autobusová stanice“ (to the right of the train station), get off at the third stop “Most Míru“ and change to bus no. 104. Then get off at the fourth stop “Kopaniny, výstaviště“. The office is in a big modern building across the street. If you go to Přerov by bus, you can ask if it stops at “Most Míru“ and take the bus 104 from there as described above. You can also take the direct bus no. 106 from “autobusová stanice” to “Kopaniny, výstaviště”.

Alien Police Department

Smetanova 14, Olomouc, 779 00

Reccommendation: It is always better to have a Czech speaker (your Czech buddy) with you.


The main railway station in Olomouc (Hlavní nádraží, Hl. n.) is a public transport hub. If you plan to travel by train more frequently, we suggest getting a special railway discount card, for example the In-karta. Also ISIC holders gets 75% discount. Ask for more information at the railway station. Other railway operators offer discounts as well; check their websites,

Public Transport in Olomouc

Olomouc has a dense public transport network of tram and bus lines. The major operator is Dopravní podnik města Olomouce (Olomouc Public Transport Company, DPMO). For information about connections, tickets, fares, etc., please see their website: Departure times are also available at

Buses and Coaches

The main coach station in Olomouc is not too far from the main railway station (the stop Autobusové Nádraží Podchod of tram no 4, the second stop after the main railway station in the direction of Pavlovičky). Although the majority of long-distance (inter)national lines stop at the main coach station, be aware that, for example, Student Agency coaches stop close to the main railway station, so plan your trip carefully.

Regional buses in Olomouc have their stops either in front of the main railway station or at Tržnice, which is closer to the city centre and has a small bus station, too. The free shuttle bus No. 61 to the Olympia Shopping Mall stops at Tržnice, Náměstí Hrdinů and the main railway station.

How to get the public transport student card

Unless you wish to buy a single ticket every day, you can get one of the two last options. Apply for them at the Public Transport Company Office (Dopravní podnik) at the main railway station or in the city centre. Ask for “měsíční průkaz” (a 1-month pass) or “čtvrtletní průkaz” (a 3-month pass). Present a valid ID card (see Chapter ID-card) and have a passport photo ready.


Taxis are usually waiting in front of the main station and at the “bar district” in the city centre. For a complete list of taxi companies, see

Rent a bike or scooter





UP ID Card

Students are required to have an identification card (ID card) in accordance with Act. No. 111/1998 Coll. of the Higher Education Schools. Students of full-time studies can choose either green ISIC cards with international validity, which are subject to a charge ( ), or so-called standard blue ID card with Palacký University logo, which is designated to other types of studies. An ID card is the most important card you will need at UP.

How to get the UP ID card?

After your arrival, you can apply for an identification card in your application in Portal UP following the instructions on   

ID card types

  • ID card ISIC is an international card that provides the holder with a variety of discounts and benefits while also being the university identification card that lets you use all the services that UP provides. All IC users are provided with some benefits at UP such as registration at Accommodation and Dining facilities, borrowing services of UP Libraries, entrances to rooms and buildings UP. These services are gradually expanded both inside and outside UP (e.g. Public Transportation, Research Library in Olomouc, etc.).
  • Students of combined studies or students arriving for less than 30 days will receive a standard blue ID card with Palacký University logo. This card is also meant for students of full-time study programs who do not want to have an ISIC card and for students of other types of study programs.  It is valid only at Palacky University.

Deposit of 200 CZK must be paid for both types of ID cards. The deposit is refundable upon the end of studies. There is an additional license fee 250 CZK for ISIC. ISIC card international validity is from September to December of the following year. Card validity is pre-printed on the front page of the card. Students can prolong the international validity of the ISIC card for the next academic year. In order to prolong the validity students can purchase a validation stamp for 250 CZK.

Use of ISIC card

Within Palacký University: 

  • Eat at student’s canteen
  • Borrow books in libraries
  • Copy and print
  • Access buildings or lecture rooms
  • Access the internet on computers in Zbrojnice and at faculties. 

Outside Palacký University: 

  • Processing of DPMO card
  • ID card to Research Library in Olomouc

Detailed information about ID cards are avilable on:


Beverages and snacks are available at any time at the dorms front desks, but when you get really hungry, have a meal at one of the UP dining halls - Canteen (MENZA). The dining halls serve high quality Czech and international cuisine at very low prices. There are always at least 7 options of ready-to-serve and quickly prepared meals to choose from.

Dining online

Once you are logged in, click on the Canteen. If you want to switch to the English version of the site and menu, click on the UK flag in the upper right corner. Translations are usually provided one week in advance.

Menza App

The application ‘MobilKredit2’ for Android is now available (including an English version). To download go to

User terminals

Food ordering terminals are in every canteen. The system is user-friendly. Select a language and place your ISIC card against the terminal, then select the date, canteen, and meal. By swiping the card once more you log out of the system.



  • At the Dormitories there is a medical company. The company calls MOJE AMBULANCE, a. s. There is avilable a general practitioner, a dentist, a gynecologist and massages.

Open hours:  Wednesday and Friday from 13:30 till 17:30

Address: J. L. Fischera, blok B, Šmeralova 10, 779 00 Olomouc, campus Envelopa

Tel: +420 581 074 200

In urgent cases, students are advised to go to the Accidents and Emergencies Department of the Olomouc University Hospital. The opening hours are from 3 pm to 7 am on week days and from 7 am to 7 pm at weekends. You must produce a proof of medical expenses insurance. If you need to go to hospital, take tram 1, 5 or 6 in the direction of “Nová Ulice” and get off at the “Fakultní nemocnice” stop.

For medical specialists and services, visit the main Olomouc healthcare centres such as:

Although the doctors do speak basic English, we recommend bringing a Czech-speaking friend along (your buddy).

If you have difficulties finding a general practitioner, or a specialist, the General Health Insurance Company of the Czech Republic (VZP) should be able to find you one.


Facebook UP

Although the university Facebook page is in Czech, it is still very useful to subscribe, as it provides a ton of tips and news so that you do not miss out on any events: 


As part of the international student organization Erasmus Student Network, each year the ESN UP Olomouc,, is here for several hundred exchange students who choose to study at any of the eight faculties of Palacký University in Olomouc. There are volunteers who help you on the basis of students helping students. At the beginning of your study abroad, you will especially appreciate the buddy system and the afternoon programme of Orientation Week.


The buddy system called Papaya is based on communication between exchange students and Czech ‘buddy’ students. Buddies contact their foreign counterparts via email, advise them on how to reach Olomouc, answer their questions, pick them up at the station, take them to the dorms, etc. This system facilitates the foreigners’ integration into the Czech environment and is beneficial for both parties. To get your buddy, register at, fill in your profile and your Czech buddy will pick you. For further information please contact ESN UP at

UP Library – ZBROJNICE (armoury)

Palacký University Library provides in-house use for studying in the library and also loan services for studying outside of the library. Charge out services are limited to students of Palacký University, employees of university and other categories of users (eg. Graduates). Teachers and doctoral students participating in teaching can borrow even in-house use documents. As a library card works your ID card (ISIC). Self-service copying and printing machines are available at all library branches. The copying is a paid service based on ID card with a pre-paid credit.

Special Needs Centre

If you need assistance because of a physical disability, please contact the Support Centre for Students with Special Needs. The centre is at the Faculty of Education. Counselling is available on personal request. If need be, the counselling can take place outside the Centre’s premises.

Learning Czech

The Faculty of Arts provides a free course of Czech for Foreigners for international short-term students throughout the academic year. The course starts at the beginning of each semester. There are always courses for beginners, intermediate and advanced learners. Students who regularly attend the course, fulfil the tasks and pass the final exam are granted credits for the semester course.

Czech language courses

Aside from Czech language courses designed for international short-term students, there are also tailored courses of Czech language for prospective international students, who are planning to join a BA or MA programme.

UPLIFT – Language School

The UPLIFT language school at the UP Faculty of Arts provides highest-quality language education to companies, students, academic workers, and the general public. In addition to common language courses, preparatory courses for internationally recognised tests in German (ÖSD) and English (IELTS) are offered. Apart from such commonly offered languages as English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, and Russian, even more exotic languages such as Chinese, Croatian, Dutch, Japanese, Portuguese, and Swedish are taught thanks to hired university lecturers. UP employees, students, and alumni have a 10% discount for all group language services.

Academic Sport Centre (UP ASC)

Sport activities are organised by the UP Academic Sport Centre. Palacký University students and emloyees can choose from a wide range of sport activities. You can use playing fields located in the close proximity of the dormitories or take part in various contests in the UP Sports Hall or in the boathouse. Facilities such as tennis courts, a minigolf course, a laser arena, a go-cart track and a paintball field are available to you, among others. The main goal of the UP Academic Sport Centre (UP ASC) is to ensure a rich offer of attractive sport and recreation activities for UP students, employees and public at unbeatably low prices. UP ASC coordinates all its activities with the UP long-term vision. More than three dozen regular sporting activities, several summer and winter sports courses, and educational programmes for lecturers are staffed by five UP core employees and six dozen external lecturers. Registration is required in order to make use of the UP ASC sport programmes.    


UP information centre and shop                                           

The information centre of Palacký University, shop, reading room, and community centre – all of this is housed in UPoint. Over an area of two hundred square metres, you'll find a designer fashion collection, high-quality souvenirs, books from the University Press, as well as information about the University and the services it provides.

Arts Centre  „KONVIKT“

The Baroque building of the former Jesuit boarding school is one of the oldest parts of the University of Olomouc. After a demanding and generous reconstruction, Palacký University has obtained a large historical complex with many original interiors. Five art-orientated departments of the Faculty of Arts and Pedagogical Faculty received new auditoriums and classrooms, studios, representative conference halls for international meetings, and offices for students and teachers.

Useful links

Privacy settings

We use cookies and any other network identifiers on our website that may contain personal data (e.g. about how you browse our website). We and some of the service providers we use have access to or store this data on your device. This data helps us to operate and improve our services. For some purposes, your consent is required to process data collected in this way. You can change or revoke your consent at any time (see the link at the bottom the page).

(Essential cookies enable basic functions and are necessary for the website to function properly.)
(Statistics cookies collect information anonymously. This information helps us to understand how our visitors use our website.)
(They are designed for promotional purposes, measuring the success of promotional campaigns, etc.)